Re: Update: 2.2 Proposed Modules List

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Joe Marcus Clarke">

To be fair, there was some discussion with regard to gst.

Neither wildly positive or negative, though.

Ok, so now wildly positive hey? Well I'll give a huge positive for this one. I would really like to see Gnome with a good video/dvd viewer. While Totem is great (never liked xine till I found totem) if Gnome is going to go with gstreamer and if gstplayer will be stable and adhere to the other guidelines for inclusion in the desktop release I dont see why we would not include it.

 - galeon: Web browser. Depends on Mozilla.
A lot of the FreeBSD users really want a web browser by default in
GNOME.  They see KDE has one, and wonder where GNOME's is.

My issue with Galeon is purely about maintainership. The GNOME 2 port rocks,
but it needs hackers and maintainers to be viable. I'm not convinced that
will work in the 2.2 timeframe.

A pitty to see Galeon go, I really hope some people step up to help out here.

 - gnome-media: Not a new module, but noted here because the latest branch

 - gstreamer/gst-plugins: Multimedia framework libraries.
By lowering the thread[0]'s stack size, I got this working on FreeBSD,
so I drop my previous contention.  However, I'm not sure how other
platform's threading implementations will take to it.

Great!

 - acme: Daemon and configuration utility for 'special' keys on modern
   multimedia keyboards and notebooks.
Just out of curiosity, why?

See the discussion about it in the earlier proposed modules thread. More
likely to be integrated into existing modules for 2.4.

- Jeff

-Damien