Re: UI Review Suggestions - Preference Dialogs

>The right course of action IMO is to nuke "use system font for window
>titles" so this is never disabled.
>
>Fonts that are *in* the system font dialog don't need an option to
>track the system font.

The rationale behind this does have to do with accessibility; basically
it's blocking on the availability of a Theme Set mechanism to set
multiple system font settings at once.

At the moment our low-vision themes rely on the ability to set the GTK+
font (more-or-less overloaded as the application font) in an RC file.

This is not the preferred mechanism, but it provides us with the needed
functionality (i.e.  simple way of changing colors and font at once)
until we get some other mechanism in place.

This means that apps that might like to read other system settings
(Window Title font, system-fixed-width font, desktop font) need, for the
moment, to read the application font instead as a user-configurable
option.

I am not sure there is a lot of value in having the window title font be
a different size from the application font, and I tend to keep my
desktop font the same as my app font too... however fine-tuners do have
their uses, I won't argue for removing them.  Of the bunch I think the
system-fixed ('monospace') font setting is the most necessary, other
than a simple "application" font.

As I say, if we agree to a Theme Set mechanism that can group and apply
multiple font settings at once, we can get rid of the 'track system
font' checkboxes for anything that uses a font in the Fonts preference
dialog.  I hope this explains some of the history of this discussion...

-Bill