Re: the Nautilus context menu

On 13 Nov 2002, James Willcox wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 05:37, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > The new nautilus has a feature where external plugins can insert menu
> > items in the context menu for files. This is quite powerful and lets us
> > extend Nautilus with new functionality from other apps (e.g. file-roller
> > can add a "create an archive from selected files").
>
> <snip>
>
> I've actually added this now to file-roller.  If people want to try it
> out, you just need file-roller and nautilus from HEAD.  It does add a
> global menu item, "Add To Archive...", so maybe I am the first offender
> of cracking out the menu :)
>
> The file-roller context menu component is pretty cheesy since it just
> spawns a file-roller process (exactly the same thing the scripts did),
> but it is a good general example of how other people can go about adding
> this feature to their apps.  Also, there is a doc in
> nautilus/docs/nautilus-context-menus.txt that people can look at as
> well.

Its a great example of what the context menus are for. What I want to
avoid is e.g. gnome-terminal adding "open terminal here" when we've
decided to not add that to Nautilus.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted Amish ex-con with a winning smile and a way with the ladies.
She's a blind mute soap star who inherited a spooky stately manor from her
late maiden aunt. They fight crime!