Re: GEP-2 Theme Sets (aka Metathemer)

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 17:48, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> Has anyone considered splitting up the creation of theme sets from the
> actual themer.

Well, they're already separate to the extent that the themer doesn't let
you create the sort of themeballs you'd expect to download from
art.gnome.org or wherever.  Personally I do think the ability to tweak
existing themes in the same place you select them is useful though,
especially from an accessibility viewpoint.

> Here's my idea:
>
> 1. The actual gnome themer is very simple, basically identical to the
> one shipped with gnome2. No tabs for changing individual theme
> properties, supports drag and drop install of themes etc.

Doesn't the gnome2 themer already have tabs for changing individual
themes, though?  (The only reason it doesn't have an icon theme tab is
because nobody's written it yet... so in 2.0 the icon theme just mirrors
the gtk theme whenever you change that.)

> 2. Include a new theme editor. This theme editor would be included in
> the system tools menu and would allow users to edit and duplicate
> currently installed themes (no need for save as, this is an instant save
> dialog).

Hmm, how would you choose what name to save your new theme under if it
didn't have a Save button...?  Instant apply is nice, but this sounds
like a situation where it could lead to things being saved when you
didn't want them to be.

Cheeri,
Calum.