Getting help to work (was: Re: Minutes of Gnome 2 release team meeting)

Hi Eric,

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Eric Baudais wrote:
> I'm the person who made the simple tarballs for the DTDs and stylesheets
> to be installed and registered with a XML Catalog. Could you tell me
> which paths SuSE installs the XML DocBook DTD and the XSL DocBook
> stylesheets? The four major paths the script looks at is /usr/share/xml
> (the "correct" path), $HOME, /usr/local, and /usr/share/sgml. These are
> the most popular locations for the docbook DTDs. To find the DocBook XML
> DTD I use the command:
>
> find /usr/share/sgml -name docbookx.dtd
>
> If the script isn't failing on the finding of the DTD or stylesheets could you
> tell me where it is failing.  A known problem is that some people don't have
> libxml2 installed in /usr.  There is a hardcoded path /usr/bin/xmlcatalog
> which will be updated along with your problem if you can give me some feedback.

My steps to get a (nearly) working help system:

1. Install scrollkeeper 0.3.8
   Problem: I had to specify --localstatedir explicitly, otherwise it will
   be substitute in the scripts through ${prefix}/var/ which doesn't work
   in a script. This is first big warning in the INSTALL file, but who
   reads INSTALL files, if there is a configure script :)?

2. Install missing SuSE 7.3 rpms:
   iso_ent.rpm, docbook-xsl-stylesheets.rpm, docbook_3.rpm

3. Install tarballs from scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/docbook.html
   Problem: Scripts need xmlcatalog in /usr/bin. They should either use no
   fixed prefix or at least use a variable so that one can change this
   with editing a single line.

To my surprise I can see some of the help files now. Remaining problems:

1. Generation just takes too long. The yelp readme points to
libgnome/help-converters/README but seriously: What are these commands do?
And most important: they don't help to increase the speed for me :-(.

2. scrollkeeper-update gives lot of warnings like:

Unable to register
/opt/gnome/share/omf/nautilus/nautilus-quick-reference-C.omf
OMF file [/opt/gnome/share/omf/nautilus/nautilus-quick-reference-es.omf]
does not validate against ScrollKeeper-OMF DTD:
/opt/gnome/share/xml/scrollkeeper/dtds/scrollkeeper-omf.dtd

Is this a known problem?

Regards,

  Jens

--