Re: Minutes of Gnome 2 release team meeting (late): 2002-05-17

On Tue, 28 May 2002, James Henstridge wrote:

[snip]

> In my opinion, if a program says "please include the contents of the
> stylesheet available at http://...";, I would expect it to do go out onto
> the internet to fetch it.  The XML catalog is simply a cache for XML
> resources such as DTDs and stylesheets, so that they don't need to be
> downloaded.  If you want to make sure that you only access local files
> when processing a document, then don't use http:// urls for the
> resources you use (use file:// ones instead).  You lose the system
> independence by using local paths, but you know it won't make a network
> request for the file.

This is a bad idea. Not only will you need to change the path during the
configure phase of building it, you also break relocability in yet another
place.

> Maybe it would be nice if libxml could dynamically build a cache of such
> resources (download files to somewhere and add pointers to a per user
> catalog file for them).  That would be the other way around the slowdown
> on broken systems (so that it would only be slow once).

This is something your transparent http proxy cache should do.Not libxml.

> James.
>
> --
> Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
> WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html

	Sander

	you'll rescue me right?
	in the exact same way that they never did
	i'll be happy right?
	when your healing powers kick in