Re: Minutes of Gnome 2 release team meeting (late): 2002-05-17

On 27 May 2002, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> If Yelp can't find the DTD and/or stylesheets, it should pop up a dialog
> telling you something like
>
> 	You do not have the DocBook/XML 4.1.2 DTD in /etc/xml/blahblah.
> 	The GNOME help browser can download the required information
> 	from the network to let you view FooApp's help.  However, the
> 	better solution is to get your system administrator to install
> 	the DTD for the whole system.  What would you like to do?
>
> 	[Cancel]    [Download]

No, definately not. there is no good way to figure out where the downlaod
should go to and how to "remember" that location. its a distributor error
and should not be worked around in some obscure way.

> If you hit Download, it would download the DTD (with a progress bar!)
> and install it somewhere on your $HOME, and remember that it is there
> for future access.
>
> As a separate issue, here are some things that I've noted when fixing
> some help-related bugs:
>
> - Some apps don't pass the correct app_id to gnome_program_init().  This
> has to be the same as the name of the directory where they install
> help.  E.g. if they pass "foo" as their app_id, it means their help is
> installed in $(datadir)/gnome/help/foo/[lang]/.

In that case, help won't work. Big deal, they get bugzillad to death in
the 10 minutes following the release. Note that there is a set off apps
which help lives in 'user-guide' instead of foo, so changing it to always
be foo is not a good idea.

>   Federico

	Sander

	you'll rescue me right?
	in the exact same way that they never did
	i'll be happy right?
	when your healing powers kick in