Re: [Fwd: Re: Message freeze in practice?]

tor 2002-05-23 klockan 20.17 skrev jacob berkman:
> On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 01:39, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Folks, it sounds like we're not doing a very good job of having the
> > strings frozen.  What's going on here?
>
> the string freeze was done too early - we are still changing code too
> much in fixing bugs.

The first string freeze was February 18th. People then complained about
it being too early, and that freeze was then lifted two and a half weeks
later.
The second string freeze was May 8th, more than two and a half months
after the first one. And people claim that it's still too early?

> eg, this week i had to remove the custom bell part of keyboard
> properties, since it was never implemented.  there was a label that
> described all the functionality, so i had to change it to remove the
> part about the custom bell.

Of course bugs should be fixed, but bugs that affect user-visible
strings should use the "string" keyword and brought to the mighty
release team's attention before they are fixed (*).

If they affect translatable strings, please also notify
gnome-i18n gnome org after you got the approval from the release team
and changed the strings in cvs. That way, translators immediately know
when and what to update. This is not happening right now, it seems. At
least not for the majority of string changes that are happening in cvs.

The result is that translators are still chasing a moving target and
being continously left one step behind, never being able to complete
GNOME2 translations, which makes the string freeze rather pointless.

Also, I would like to remind people that it's not fundamentally wrong to
punt some string changes for later.

Christian

(*) Someone from the mighty release team should correct me if I'm wrong
here.