Re: Odditty with the panel

 --- textshell <textshell neutronstar dyndns org> wrote: > On Friday
03 May 2002 18:34, you wrote:

> > > When I try to recreate the panel I get a segfault
> >
> > I normally nuke ever suspect .file in my home directory :)
> >
> Don't do that if you want to keep your settings etc.
>
> I had a similar problem with KDE2 (basicly as gnome2 a complex
> system)
> I suggest investigating the stuff the normal way searching for
> wrong file etc.
> If that doesn't help, rename the dotfiles in you home directory:
> most likely
> candiadtes are .gconf* .gnome* etc.
>
> I renamed one at a time and then retried. Remember to kill all
> Programs that
> might cache some settings for you, eg. gconfd*,
> gnome-settings-deamon,
> bonobo-activation etc. If you don't know what to kill ask in the
> list the
> other might have suggestions too.
>
> If you know what file directory is the problem, try to investigate
> further.
> For directories try to find the specific file that's the problem.

Looked at it a bit further over the weekend.

Basically killing processes, rming .files have no effect.

Seems to be a specific 1.5.19 panel bug. I use checkinstall rpm's so
tried rpm -e and rpm --force to find out the problem package.

Basically it seems specifically a panel problem - have downgraded to
1.5.18 and everything works