Re: To quickly cut through the fog: workspaces vs. viewports

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Anyway, the GNOME 2 decision was to have the configurable kind of
space, but not to allow more than one kind, and you have to name it
"Workspace." Whether to make each feature (edge-flipping or whatever)
available as an option for this single kind of space is an orthogonal
question to how many kinds of space you can have at once.

Thanks, Havoc.  This was very helpful.

 - Workspaces vs. Viewports = Implementation Detail You Don't Care About

 - Specific Features = Thing To Be Discussed On Individual Merits Of Each Feature

So then, perhaps much of the argument for viewports could be rephrased as:

"We should be implementing gnome_workspaces using wm_viewports instead of wm_workspaces, because wm_viewports give us features X, Y, and Z for free, whereas we have to implement them ourselves in wm_workspaces."

Michael