To quickly cut through the fog: workspaces vs. viewports

I recently started reading some of the viewports vs. workspaces posts, but the threads are millions of posts long, and I have not been able to figure out one of the fundamental conflicts.

Would somebody be able to quickly summarize (or point to a summary of) the reason for choosing workspaces over viewports in gnome2?

I understand why Gnome should only support one of the two options, and I have read plenty of articles stating their differences. However, I can't figure out why, taking into account their differences, people decided that workspaces are better than viewports. Was this a carefully thought-out decision, or an arbitrary choice? Was it something decided on the mailing list a long time ago?

Thanks,

Michael