Re: PATCH: panel run dialog redux

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Frank Worsley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> attached is a patch the redesigns the panel run dialog along the lines
> of the discussion that tooks place on this list.
>
> I think the new design should be more pleasing to everyone. The main
> changes are:
>
> 1. By default always show the advanced text entry field and replace the
> 'Advanced' button with a 'Known Applications' button.
>
> 2. Pressing the 'Known Application' button will display the list of
> 'known' applications from the applications menu.
>
> 3. The list of applications is now only loaded when the button is
> pressed, resulting in a fast load time for the dialog.
>
> The only problem with the patch right now is that the window wont shrink
> in size when the applications list is hidden by pressing the button. It
> correctly grows in size when the list is first shown. Ideas anyone?
>
> Patch is attached. Screenshots are here:
> http://members.shaw.ca/fworsley/screenshots

A cool feature that the KDE run dialog has is that when you finished
typing the name of an existing app it changes the icon to one for the
app. This is pretty cool, and would help you know that you got the name
right, even if you don't care about the list-of-apps.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad vegetarian photographer on a search for his missing
sister. She's a sharp-shooting streetsmart opera singer with a birthmark
shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!