Odditty with the panel

I have a wierd problem with the panel after upgrading
to the latest versions of all packages (according to
latest).

Whe I start gnome I only get a menu panel and not my
normal bottom edge panel.

When I try to recreate the panel I get a segfault

On the controlling panel I get various error messages
about functions not handled as per usual ending with

** (gnome-panel:5885) WARNING **: panel_applet_load:
cant find the panel for this object

I will submit a bug report but would be useful if any
one has any ideas on this one so I can put it in the
right place.