Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:50, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > Edge-flipping and being able to drag windows between
> > workspaces/viewports/whatever (as opposed to spanning more than one)
> > seems like the most important bit to me, and that is implementable in
> > terms of workspaces. Maybe adding that would be a good compromise
> > (easy for me to say, when I'm not going to be the one stuck with the
> > work).
> Edge flipping when you are not dragging a window is crackrock.  It means
> that you cannot shove the mouse to a corner to get it away from your
> typing.

No it's not crackrock. To be able to reach a determinate point in my
desk, I do not need to drag a book with me so I can look/work in another
side of my desk.

Likewise, I use edgeflipping without dragging windows to switch between
(mostly) the browser an email viewports, which are very mouse centric
apps. It's more productive to use the mouse to flip the edge than using
the keyboard, specially for adjacent viewports.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't use the keyboard... yes I do use the
keyboard to switch viewports as well. It's specially usefull if you want
to reach far away viewports.

On another sidenote, viewports AND workspaces have both their uses, and
I use them by creating a 6x1x2 workplace. Yes, a 3D workplace.

When I said I had a 6x2 workplace I was not explaining myself properly.

With 6x1x2 I can have edgeflipping, viewports, panels on the top and
bottom that are easy to catch, etc etc...

Saying you don't need any of them, is like saying to a vim user he
doesn't need vim since there's emacs.

That just absurd, and whoever is following UI advice of doing this, is
smoking crack pipes, and taking advise from an lsd addicts.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?