Re: Bugzilla and the Great Quest for the Query -> maintaining old software

hi all,

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 23:21, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey Hey,
> Okay, I've just created a new 'GNOME1.4' keyword for bugzilla. I figure
> that we could probably use it for all new bugs that come in, so it
> should make things easier when we clean out the database later on [1].
> 	So please start using this keyword if you can.
> 				See ya,
> 					Glynn ;)
>
> [1] Yeah, I have this evil thought of removing large amounts of cruft
>     from bugzilla when Kjartan has done his 1.4.1 release.

hmmm I'm not so sure about this.

we want to keep using bugzilla to maintain the old platform software.

and when gnome 2.2 is out we still want to use bugzilla to maintain
gnome 2.0 software.

bugzilla isn't just for maintaining the most recent platform.

It would be very bad to remove large amounts of 1.4 reports simply
because it is 'the old platform'. Many of us depend on that platform
(both personally and professionally) and we will do the work to fix bugs
and maintain the software.

Most gnome 2 stuff is in seperate bugzilla products. Those that aren't
can have the reports seperated by the version field. Then you can just
ignore the reports for the old platform.

Maybe we need a general gnome 1.4 maintenance team, so we have people
who are interested in this type of stuff, and so it isn't just kjartan.
I would be willing to be on this team.

Contrary to popular belief kjartan isn't the only fixing bugs and doing
work on gnome 1.4. Though his work alone has been fantastic.

Kjartan: what do you think of this idea?

thanks,
wayne