docklets + usability

Hi,

I would like to know if the docklet bug that is in sawfish since several
releases and that is still in sawfish for Gnome2 will be fixed before
the release or not. That bug prevents docklets to be attached in the
status dock for applications like gabber or gnomemeeting.

If it is not fixed, should I switch again the code to an applet instead
of a docklet? I don't think so.

There are other problems with sawfish:
- changing the number of workspaces in the applet does not change the
number of workspaces in the preferences of sawfish. And I think that
having workspaces divided into X lines and Y columns is not possible
with the current applet. I understand that it was confusing, but sawfish
doesn't seem to comply with this.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the remarks of some people to who I
showed my Gnome2 desktop for the first time, it is always the same
remark : "Gnome ressembles more and more to Windows and to KDE". I think
this is due to the fact that the tasklist applet is at the bottom like
in Windows. Is there an usability reason for that? Why not place it at
the top where there is plenty of empty space in the menu panel? And keep
the bottom panel for the classical Gnome panel that we all know since
the very beginning? Personnally I think it is more usable being at top.
People are more using the top of their screen (with the menu, or in
programs) than the bottom. The tasklist is easier to access at the top
than at the bottom and it is more logical for it to be next to the
pager...

--
  _
 (o-      SANDRAS Damien