Re: Default WM theme settings

John Fleck wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 09:35:12AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> <quote who="Jens Knutson">

>> > That may have been the intention back last year, but I don't think this
>> > is playing out now - there *are* a lot of UI changes going on,
>> > especially regarding usability and HIG compliance.  I think this issue
>> > of the default WM theme definitely falls under those headings...
>>
>> The main issue behind the UI freeze is documentation. The docs dudes have
>> already started taking screenshots of GNOME windows decoradted with Crux, so
>> if there was any change, someone would have to offer their time to go
>> through and re-take all of those screenshots.
>>

>And when I last brought the issue up several months ago, the
>discussion rather petered out, and we ended up settled on Crux, and
>a team of enslaved house elves in Outer Mongolia is now in the midst
>of manufacturing screenshots galore. A change at this point would make
>the house elves most distraught, as they don't get paid.

It is no big deal if the doc screenshots use Crux with default button layout
and a distribution ships with a different theme or layout.  Doc users won't
look at a screenshot of gedit to deduce how the window buttons should work.

The "Windows" section in the User Guide could/should explain buttons
functions for several typical themes/layouts: Crux default, Crux MS,
Klarth (only if its available in default Sawfish Appearance capplet) and
explain that the user's layout may differ from the default (Crux default).

John