Re: Enter the build sheriff: Jacob.

On 14 Mar 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 11:08, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Sorry, I didn't see the serious breakage, nor any complaint from
> > other core projects maintainers that this may have been broken [1].
> > In both cases this was about python modules which may not have build in
> > some circumstances.  No core project relies on those modules. I don't see
> > either how this would have hampered the progresses of other modules. No
> > really ...
>
> Snapshots require everything to build. If snapshots cannot be built, we
> have ~0 testing. If we have no testing, we aren't /ever/ going to get to
> gnome2.0. Period. That makes any build breakage in core modules
> extremely severe for the GNOME community.
>
> I know your response, Daniel, is going to be that 'I don't think that
> gnome2 testing being broken is severe.' I wish I knew how to change your
> mind on that, but I don't. All I can do is insist that testing and
> buildability is (or should be) extremely important to the hundreds of
> other people out there using snapshots and CVS, and I wish you'd
> consider their needs as well as your own.

I rather suspect Daniel will just point at a specific version and say 'use
that, it definately always builds'. I would personally have trouble
arguing too much against it. In some ways, libxml is way more similar to a
prerequisite (like tiff or png) than a platform library.

> Luis

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding