Re: How to find Gnome version?

Deepa Chacko Pillai <deepa chacko wipro com> writes:

> I am writing an application which displays certain system information.
> Here, I need to display the version of GNOME we are on. Could you please
> tell me where I can find this information from?

There isn't really a way to know. A version of GNOME is just a
collection of sub-packages released at a certain time; but people can
upgrade sub-packages individually.

You could run "gnome-panel --version" and get the version of the panel
for example, but there's no way to get the "GNOME version" - I'd guess
that very few people have an exact GNOME release installed, rather
they have mostly post-1.4 packages or mostly post-2.0 packages or
something.

Havoc