Re: [Fwd: Re: themes]

John Fleck wrote:

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 09:53, Havoc Pennington wrote:
Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:
P.S. OOOH- you know what we need for 2.0.1? there needs to be a default
'GNOME-AA' session, just like your regular session but with GDK_USE_XFT
set. George? :)

GDK_USE_XFT should not be referred to as "enable AA fonts" - that
isn't what it does, it enables the Xft backend. Which allows you to
then enable AA fonts, or not. The main point about GDK_USE_XFT is that
it moves us onto our new font architecture, and eventually we are
dropping the old core X architecture.

So does this (thanks Malcolm) accurately reflect things:

In order to have anti-aliased fonts in menus and applications, you will need to make sure that the environment variable GDK_USE_XFT is exported
     	before running the appropriate applications.
	For example, you might put
     	the following in $HOME/.gnomerc:
#!/bin/sh
GDK_USE_XFT=1
export GDK_USE_XFT
exec gnome-session

(or possibly "exec ssh-agent gnome-session" if you are using SSH with agent forwarding).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html