Re: naughty gnome2 desktop

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 15:42, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 7 Jun 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > Maybe a better short-term-hack fix is in the panel, special-case the
> > > start-here: URI scheme. (Presumably file: is already special-cased to
> > > go to Nautilus? or is that because libgnome has a pref for file:
> > > handler?)
> > >
> > > It'll suck if start-here icon opens slowly.
> >
> > On my system there's hardly any difference in speed between the two
> > methods.
>
> The reason we made the -link desktop files is because it was really slow
> starting nautilus on every click. Maybe our startup times are better these
> days, but i doubt they are as fast as just reading a url.
>
> > As we're already able to rename links drop from nautilus onto the
> > desktop, meaning we don't have to create the links by hand anymore, I
> > think the best is for nautilus and the panel to create desktop files
> > that clearly mark nautilus as the handler.
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean here.
>
> > It's so annoying not to be able to have a link to a webdav directory in
> > the panel, without having to edit by hand.
>
> Ah, if you mean if you have a webdav link in the panel it launches
> mozilla, since it's a http address.
>
> > That would also fix the problem with nautilus trying to handle http URIs
> > as webdav when mozilla/galeon/whatever the user configured should really
> > be launched.
>
> I generally dislike this solution. Links should be links, not something
> that forces you to open using a specific app. It is both slower and less
> flexible (no other app can understand the nautilus launcher, but other
> apps, such as konqueror, knows about links).

I don't think you understood my explanations. Here's something:

1) The link is dropped from nautilus to the desktop or the panel.
2) The drag dest recognises that it's from Nautilus (hmm, is that even
possible ?), creates a link with the X-Nautilus-Is-Handler=Yes (for
example) member.
3) Both nautilus and the panel know that nautilus is supposed to handle
this link.
4) Click on this desktop file, the panel runs nautilus $(url), nautilus
just creates a new window to that url.

Kicker, Konqueror, etc. still recognise the desktop file as a link, and
it just works.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net