Re: [Fwd: Re: File Selector talk notes -- one other suggestion]

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 03:53:14AM -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:40:57AM +0200, textshell neutronstar dyndns org
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I don't think that using the titlebar icon as drag source would be a good
> > idea in X11 land because it's done by the window manager, and in MDI/tabbed
> > applications it would be confusing what is represted by this IMHO.
>
> Regarding the window manager:
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-May/msg00021.html
>
> Regarding MDI/whatever:
>   It sucks. It makes other things suck. Get over it. Have a nice day.

I just like the possibility to (from the user view) aggregate many related
documents in one frame. This is *needed* if you have 20+ files or web pages open
at the same time for one of the things you are doing!

Short, It doesn't suck! I won't get over that developers say something sucks
because it is too much work. If that is what you have to say, say it as "This is
to much work". And for the tabs matter: I just included tabs because that what
is mostly done in Gnome now, general MDI could is more versatile.

And for the WM spec/bonobo/infrastructure loving people: Yes it would be nice to
have this ability not only for documents opened by one application(process) but
also for, say, a spreadsheet and 10 Wav files and 10 plaintext files.

And that people make requests for tab features all the time is a good indication
that many (at least of the people that post to the list and bugzilla) really use
this functionality and really like it! Get over it, users like it.

Martin H.

PS: To be a bit more constuctive: Depending on the MDI interface, an windows or
dos like MDI-interface might get away with only a clear statement that draging
from the toplevel windows is a) not supported b) refers to the focused document
and that is is easy to provide additional UI in the MDI interface itself.