Re: ximian gnome2

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 14:57, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> i have a couple questions:
>
> 1. anyone know when they plan to add gnome2 to their regular (stable)
> gnome channel? i think i remember a couple weeks ago hearing that gnome2
> is now official, and considered stable.

The general answer to this has been that Ximian will release it when it
is ready.  I believe someone at Ximian said that for each time this
question was asked, an additional week would be added..  :)

> 2. About a week ago i used red-carpet to update my system, as i do
> daily. for some reason after that particular day's updates, my
> gnome-terminal and gnome menu were messed up. The gnome-terminal program
> wont let me change the font, and when i type things, the text looks a
> little wrong....and extreamly wrong when i use my up&down arrow keys to
> see previously typed commands... im not sure if my decsription is
> adaquit, so here are two screenshots:
>
>    1-a typed in command, "gnomecc" in this case
>
> http://mysite.iptic.com/upgrdman/temp/scr1.jpg
>
>    2-command typed in, then used arrow key several times to view past
> commands
>
> http://mysite.iptic.com/upgrdman/temp/scr2.jpg
>
> ^^^^^^ at the time i took the screenshot, the current command was
> gmplayer, the other characters are chunks of the older commands.
>
> the text doesnt look bad in any of my other gnome apps...so im stumpped.
> and as for my gnome menu, after i ran red-carpet that day, it removed
> all the the contents of my "desktop preferences" menu, removed all but
> two apps from my "accessories" menu, and all the items in my "Others"
> menu. however the apps they linked to are still on my system. again, im
> stumpped.
>
> hint: to make the text appear correctly, i have to drag the terminal
> below my task bar, or way to the left or right, and then bring it back
> into visable space to see correctly rendered text. maybe it's a bug with
> the gnome2 font renderer? i'd check bugzilla for bugreports on it, but i
> dont know what program to report it is... gnome2, g-term, xsft, ???

A quick glance at the gnome-2-snapshots mailing list archives would give
the answer...

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/gnome-2-snapshots/2002-July/000168.html

You could also read the majority of mails after this one with folks
talking about problems similar to yours..

> 3. why isn't their a link to 'gnomecc' in the gnome menu. i realize that
> you guys seemed to prefer adding a link to each section in the control
> panel to the gnome menu, but i think gnomecc is great, and offers people
> who prefer that kind of interface a great choice. maybe you guys could
> put a link to gnomecc at the bottom or top of the "desktop prefs." menu?
>
> also, my gnomecc has only two main sections... "main" and "advanced".
> although i think i recall someone having another section in their
> gnomecc screenshot. are their plugins for gnomecc or something?
>
> 4. i JUST realized that evolution saves mail be written, until it's
> sent---presumably in case their pc freezes...which mine jsut did while i
> was writing this. after i whined, and pissed, and moaned for a minute, i
> was gonna retype this letter, but then after clicking on "new" it told
> me it had a saved version of my message....so i told it to recover it.
> shouldnt you guys also put it in the drafts folder, so it's more obvious
> that you auto-saved my message? that, or maybe have evo. tell me about
> my saved message right after it starts up?

This would be better if it was sent to the Evolution mailing list,
evolution ximian com

josh