Re: replace esound/audiofile with gstreamer

Hi Ali,

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 13:38, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> now that gnome 2.0.0 got released and a lot of modules continue on HEAD,
> doesn't it make sense to drop esound/audiofile in favour of gstreamer ?

	Well - I think it makes sense to be able to support both; I believe
there was once a plan to abstract this somewhat. Beyond the pain, and
performance issues of linking yet another small shared library; it might
well be worth adding a sound plugin API of some sort; it seems it would
need to support this (massive) API:

int  gnome_sound_connection_get (void);
void gnome_sound_init(const char *hostname);
void gnome_sound_shutdown(void);
int  gnome_sound_sample_load(const char *sample_name,
                             const char *filename);
void gnome_sound_play (const char * filename);

	Where notably, 'sound_connection_get' is pretty pointless, but get to
return negative if nothing is initialized, and sample_load's returned id
is not used AFAICS.

	So - presumably hacking up a small private interface such that
gstreamer can rely on libgnome instead of VV would be good.

	Ultimately it is no-where (anywhere) near feasible for libgnome to
depend on gstreamer until the gstreamer API can be committed to an
almost indefinate API/ABI freeze - which is not what is best for the
gstreamer team at the moment IMHO.

	HTH,

		Michael.