Re: GNOME 2.2 screenshots

On 8 Jul 2002, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 02:27, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > If we could switch each module on its own time, we would have dumped
> > 1.4 ages and ages ago. Because switching would be really easy, since
> > we wouldn't have to cause any pain/breakage in order to do it; we'd
> > just say "you have to install all the automakes" and then things would
> > Just Work for people and the packages could use a mix of automakes.
>
> I really fail to see the problem here. I and guess yourself is currently
> running Red Hat 7.3. To run autogen.sh for GStreamer I just specify
> --with-automake=/usr/bin/automake-1.5
>
> I am having trouble seeing why this can't be done with the rest of GNOME
> also.
>
> I also noticed in the RH beta that you use automake-1.6 as default so my
> guess is that you guys at Red Hat needs to get GNOME working with that
> sooner rather than later anyway.

We ship an automake 1.4 with the binary called "autmake-1.4". Then we hack
our specfile to use this instead of "automake" if we have to do any
changes to the configure.in or Makefile.am files. Normally you don't have
to touch those, so we just use what was generated by the upstream
maintainer.

Things are more complicated if you want everyone to build from CVS though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed gay boxer who hides his scarred face behind a mask. She's a
wealthy Bolivian research scientist with someone else's memories. They fight
crime!