Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:
> Sorry - any particular reason you think that users would want to use the
> Debian menu as opposed to xxx menu?

Sure.

(Note that I was talking about the debian menu *system*.)

1) I think they'd rather use just one menu than a two or three
   different ones.

2) (On my install at least) there are a lot more programs registered
   with the debian menu than with the gnome or kde menus. This is
   anecdotal, of course.

3) Standards are generally considered good, and even though the debian
   menu system is only standard on debian-based systems, I think it's
   good enough to be "promoted" to a desktop standard.

4) (On Debian) almost all desktops/wms except Gnome and Kde use the
   debian menu system as it's menu system.

--

Okay, there are only a few, non-conclusive reasons for gnome to use
the debian menu system - it would be neat and clean and consistent.

I can't think of any reasons why it *shouldn't* use the debian menu
system, though.

If the gnome "menu layout" (that is, the categories) is better than
the debian ditto, I'm sure the debian menu maintainers would like to
know.

When I went from debian-based wms to gnome, I personally felt that it
was a disimprovement - the categories seem more overlapping and I
found it difficult to place in which category a particular application
was.