Re: 3rd party .desktop files

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:10:19PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> That doesn't really help at all, since there's no reason people would
> use the same filenames. Especially if everyone is staying in their own
> namespace...

Well, so far we aren't very namespacing :)  Though perhaps we should start :)

> Shipping .desktop files for other apps is just crack, you don't ship
> .pc files for other libraries or install the documentation for other
> apps or whatever.

Well, that is the ideal solution.  ISVs should definately ship their own if
they want to be in the menu.  And default packages from any system should
just have the .desktops inside their own package.  I suppose it will all be
fine after some time, but there might be need for such .desktop files before
everyone transitions to shipping their own.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely