Instant apply

Greetings all,

On the subject of instant apply, I must say that I have not been
convinced on the merits of this strategy. While it sounds useful in
theory, I still see many problems inherent in it, enough to overwhelm
the advantages. It is possible that such a strategy could work, but I
insist that we not make it difficult to use to a manual apply approach.

To those people contributing code to the control center: I have been
structuring my code so that it is easy to modify the dialogs it to be
either auto apply or manual apply. I strongly request that everyone else
who helps out with the control center do the same. In other words,
please hook the code up to signals on the various widgets, but also use
changesets rather than interfacing with gconf_client directly. Better
yet, use the property editors in libcommon -- they will use a changeset
if one passes it to the constructor and interface with gconf_client if
one passes a NULL pointer instead. And I thank you deeply for your
assistance.

On the subject of whether dialogs should have close buttons, I believe
this is a rather unimportant issue, particularly because it is trivially
easy to patch the code to eliminate the dialogs' close buttons. The
control center that I maintain will have close buttons on its dialogs
for the forseeable future. As above, I am concerned with consistency, so
I request that anyone working on the control center respect this
protocol. This is the last I will mention of this subject.

Bradford Hovinen                                                  Hacker
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~hovinen/                    Ximian Desktop team
hovinen ximian com                                          Ximian, Inc.

Now what is history? It is the centuries of systematic explorations of
the riddle of death, with a view to overcoming death. That's why people
discover mathematical infinity and electromagnetic waves, that's why
they write symphonies.
                                      - Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago