Re: Continued .. Moving up the chain: Breaking gnome 2.0 alpha builds

Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 15:01, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Chris Chabot wrote:
> >
> > > Also, gtk+ and other packages fail when the redhat's default gtk-doc is
> > > installed. Since upgrading it and all the tools is not a simple job, the
> > > 'easy' solution seems to be `rpm -e gtk-doc`
> >
> > So, is it warranted to have a new release of gtk-doc within a few
> > days?
>
> Only if someone can figure out why it works for some packages, but not
> for others.  I suspect that it's some difference in the makefiles, but
> haven't had time to investigate further.  I'm not sure it's a gtk-doc
> problem.

There is generally no reason to have gtk-doc when building
from tarballs except that the packages default to using it when
it is found.

Making a new gtk-doc release is just a few minutes, so, it may be
worth doing it just because it is easy, but people will be happier if
they configure with --disable-gtk-doc in general.

(Also, there is a good chance that even if you have the right gtk-doc,
you don't have a functioning SGML setup, and getting that fixed
is often a really hard and complicated job, and one we really
probably would rather not have to help people testing gnome-2 with.)

Regards,
                                        Owen