Re: Gnome VFS minutae

On 08Jan2002 04:54PM (-0500), Bradford Hovinen wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> In order to make the file types capplet less horribly broken for GNOME
> 2.0, I have been giving it some serious UI work. My current progress, in
> the form of a half-working confused jumble of code, is in CVS HEAD
> control-center-plus/capplets/file-types/
>
> One of the things I am doing is putting the MIME types into a tree,
> somewhat like the KDE dialog. However, where the KDE dialog simply
> parses the MIME type string, I am trying to create some nice category
> names. To do this reliably and extensibly, I need to store the
> categories in the MIME database. Would you (or anyone) object to adding
> category name keys to gnome-vfs.keys for various MIME types? I ask for
> no API change, just some additions to the file.

This sounds all right to me. You could store the keys as the name for
the wildcard type, for example, "text/*" could be text. Unless you
want to have arbitrary categories.

That being said though, I am not sure making the file type list into a
tree will improve the UI very much. Trees can often be confusing and
make things hard to find (for example the old control center category
tree).

 - Maciej