Re: [Usability] Close buttons on instant-apply dialogs

Pete <pete setchell goodtechnology com> writes:
> On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 01:05, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
>
> > As I see it there should be an accessible way to dismiss a window.
> > IIRC Bill Haneman said that no Close button is no ironclad
> > accessibility stopper. What about using Esc?
>
> This would make a lot of vim and vi users *very* unhappy - Esc is used
> to switch to command-mode in both of them.

Esc already closes GTK 2 dialogs. (Though whether it means close or
cancel is up to the app to get right.)

> Making the Gnome default short-cuts conflict with the most ubiquitous
> and powerful unix editor is probably not a good plan ;-)

It should maybe be Ctrl-w instead of Escape, but that conflicts with
Emacs, or Alt-F4 instead of Escape, but that conflicts with everyone's
change-to-desktop-4 binding. ;-) You see the dilemma. ;-)

As Calum says, the focus widget gets keys before the dialog does, so
if you have an edit control it will eat the key if there's a conflict.

Havoc