Re: [Fwd: Re: profterm]

Cristiano De Michele <demichel na infn it> writes:
> -I/opt/ngnome2/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2
> -I/opt/ngnome2/include/libbonoboui-2.0    -O2 -g -Wall   -o
> gnome-terminal  profile-editor.o terminal.o terminal-profile.o
> terminal-screen.o terminal-window.o eggcellrendererkeys.o
> x-font-selector.o -L/opt/ngnome2//lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/opt/ngnome2/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lzvt-2 -lutil -lglade-2.0
> -lgnomeui-2 -lSM -lICE -lgnome-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lgconf-2 -lbonoboui-2
> -lbonobo-2 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -llinc -lgthread-1.3 -lpthread
> -lxml2 -lz -lgnomecanvas-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -lpangoft2 -lfreetype
> -lgtk-x11-1.3 -lgdk-x11-1.3 -lXext -lgdk_pixbuf-1.3 -lm -lpangox -lX11
> -lpango -latk -lgobject-1.3 -lgmodule-1.3 -ldl -lglib-1.3
> eel/libeelcnp.la
> mkdir .libs
>
> here it locks, the CPU load is 100% and also waiting for 20 minutes
> nothing happens...

That's very strange - maybe you have a very old libtool version? Maybe
a buggy linker? I don't know. What process is eating the CPU (in "top")?

> > Sure, I don't know exactly what those features are but I'm open to new
> > features. Are the colored labels to indicate new output in a tab, as
> > with XChat?
> yes exactly

That sounds good.

> >What is command grouping?
> in MGT I have a menu for commands to be executed in new tabs,
> so grouping of such commands means you can group them
> in submenus to make commands menu shorter,
> give a look at MGT 1.3.13 if you can and have time, but I fear you
> haven't it because GNOME 2.0 final is incoming ;-)

I looked at it just now, I think in profterm this would translate to
"profile grouping," so you could group profiles within the profile
menu.

I guess the Manage Profiles dialog could be changed to let you "create
a folder" and then put profiles inside it? So it would contain a tree
instead of a list. Then that tree would be used to create the profiles
menu.

If we do that it might make sense to move the Profiles menu to the
menubar, instead of a submenu, so that we never have more than two
levels deep of menu.

> P.S. the fact is that I was thinking to port MGT to GNOME 2 but maybe it
> makes more sense to add MGT features to profterm do you agree?

If you like the basic profterm concepts such as profiles, I think that
makes sense. It's up to you.

Looking at MGT for other features -

Several people have asked for the "tint background" and "amount of
background shade" options you have in MGT, I guess those require
libzvt changes - but it would be nice to have those features in
libzvt/profterm.

Setting the terminal title on-the-fly might be useful too, though I'm
not sure how this interacts with the title set in the profile. I think
probably it's the same as the "dynamic" title from the title_changed
signal on the zvt widget, i.e. it would only override the title until
a new dynamic title is set. I'm a little worried though that things
will become too hard for users to understand since there's already the
profile title. So we need to think about how to do this nicely.

Features that didn't seem very useful to me were the toolbar, and
setting the location of the notebook tabs - I don't think many people
would want extra space used by the toolbar, since most people already
turn off the menubar, and it doesn't seem like it matters where the
notebook tabs are.

Some of the bugs currently in bugzilla are higher-priority though, for
example being able to change the font! ;-)

Havoc