Re: profterm's eel usage ...

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I was hoping to bring up this issue as soon as we start in on GTK 2.2
> plans. (But anyone else can feel free, when they start planning the
> next point release of other platform libs.)
>
> Maybe we can prototype three different filesel designs, in each of
> eel, gal, and gnome-desktop! ;-)

I'll chime in on this.  Although I understand the control issues
that make having multiple staging libraries convenient,  IMO having
multiple sets of libraries is detrimental to the project.  Having a
place to work on apis and evaluate code in a larger context is very
useful.  The current practice of having lots them with no clear path
to stable libraries makes them a dead end.  I'd prefer to see just 1
such library.  Add some clear guidelines for how things are added to
that library and how to propose moving it down into libgnome(ui) and
new code would actually be able to migrate from the applications
down into the core.

If the library is shared by lots of apps the size is irrelevant,
whereas cut-n-paste is definitely lost.  If only a few of the apis
are used by an app then the instability of other things in the
library are also largely irrelevant.

For the 2.1 cycle I would really like to get some agreement that we
share a library.  Merging the user base and developing an active
review process will only strengthen things.