Re: gnome-core HEAD is dead

Hey,

On 12 Feb 2002, jacob berkman wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 11:58, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> > 	I've just split gnome-core into gnome-desktop, gnome-session
> > and gnome-panel. This is how the split looks
>
> this really should have been discussed on the mailing list before doing
> this.

	I discussed it with George and he said that it was the plan
all along. The release team were also I aware I was doing this.

> what problems did this split solve?

	Having things that belong together in seperate modules,
allowing the decision to branch these things be considered seperately,
allowing different maintainership principles to be applied to the
different modules, localises the amount of building required for
developers working on the individual modules, increases the
transparency of what's going on in the modules, allows the modules to
be on different release trains etc ...

	Probably the same reasons bonobo and gnome-libs were split up.

> why couldn't it have been done after 2.0?

	What would that gain exactly?

> i am not thrilled that i have to waste my day fixing the snapshots for
> this.

	Funny then that you didn't mention your frustration to me when
we were discussing this privately on irc half an hour ago?

	Laca also came over to me frustrated that he had to think up
of another 4 five letter identifiers to fit in with Sun's packaging
scheme. :-)

Good Luck,
Mark.