Slimmer Nautilus possibility

Hello.
I really appreciate the amount of work that has gone into Nautulis.
Its array of functions seems very impressive.
However, I use very few of them (I'm a terminal lover -  OT I think
gnome terminal is great).
Is it\Will it be possible to use a small program simply to render and
manage the desktop, and use Nautilus for all other functionality?
(Perhaps separate Nautilus into a desktop renderer and everything
else?).
I ask because my machine is rather resource poor, and since I don't
really use all the functionality, I'd preffer to load it only when
necessary.

Yours,
Uri David Akavia