Re: Sticky Notes

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 11:32:53AM +1100, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> The current behaviour is that the menus for a particular panel are only
> rescanned when the panel is started, as people have noticed. Rescanning
> all the time is expensive, so I don't think that will be very nice. The

  Totally agreed, I'm not suggesting that. Though looking at the timestamp
on the inodes of the couple of directories where the applets might be
installed should be cheap enough to be done from time to time.

> idiomatic Unix-style solution would be to make SIGUSR1 or SIGHUP make
> the panel rescan the menus and panel applets, but that's now a GNOME
> 2.3/2.4 feature request, if anything.

  That mechanism was designed for services, i.e. processes running in the
background, without UI and where the target audience for such operations
was sysadmin, IMHO this is totally inadequate as-is for the GNOME panel.
At lest an UI option to rescan should be provided.

Daniel