Re: Sticky Notes

On 25 Dec 2002, Loban A Rahman wrote:

> Date: 25 Dec 2002 21:38:18 -0800
> From: Loban A Rahman <loban earthling net>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Sticky Notes
>
> I discovered a couple of bugs, plus finished the rest of the features.

Looks pretty neat and you have looked at similar programs and made
comparisons and learned from their interfaces which i am always glad to
see but ...
If it is almost finished and feature complete then why is the version
number 0.5?
I would be interested to know what you consider to be the requirements for
this program to be declared ready for a stable 1.0 release?

I am guessing: documentation, various kinds of detailed testing.
A shortlist or a roadmap to 1.0 or something along those lines would be
very interesting.

> :-) I think all it's missing is a little more extensive documentation.

hmm, im not doing much at the moment (not volunteering just yet but
maybe).

> http://loban.caltech.edu/scratch/stickynotes_applet-0.5.tar.gz

You say that the notes save on exit and also every five minutes.  Five
minutes seem like quite a long time for what i expect would be short
notes.  I would suggest maybe also saving every time the user hits return
(which would roughly indicate the end of a paragraph) unless this
introduced too much of a noticable delay.  Losing sticky notes to a crash
(however unlikely) after 4 and half minutes would be very very annoying.

Looks great, hope to try it out thoroughly soon and offer more
constructive, hopefully useful suggestions.

Sincerely
Alan H.