Re: dev environment for starters

My one recommendation is that compiled code should be built and
installed as a user and leave the base system intact. All of the build
dependencies can be installed in a different prefix.

From: http://www.gnome.org/~chema/gnome-love/compiling_faq.html
-------------------------------------
2.2 I want to install all the development code in a separate prefix
inside my HOME directory. What environmental variables should I set to
be able to compile and run binaries and libraries from a different
prefix?

For example, to install into $HOME/gnome you need to set :
export GNOME_PATH=$HOME/gnome
export PATH=$HOME/gnome/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/gnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/gnome/lib/pkgconfig

and autogen/configure the projects with --prefix=$HOME/gnome

That info servers as good background on how things work, but jhbuild
makes this a lot easier this days, the README inside jhbuild will show
you how to use it. All I do right now on a clean install to set up the
dev environment is "jhbuild bootstrap" & "jhbuild build $foo".

regards,
Chema