Re: gep-2, Desktop Theme Sets

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's important to keep in mind
that the GNOME definition of the word "desktop" is completely different
than every major platform GNOME users are migrating from.

- Apple calls the desktop "the background on which icons and windows are
displayed (minus the menu bar)"[1]

- Windows calls it "The visual work area that fills the screen. The
desktop is also a container and can be used as a convenient location to
place objects stored in the file system."[2]

- CDE calls it "The area on which the windows of a user's environment
appear."[3]

While it may be acceptable that GNOME uses a completely different for
this word ("The sum of all the parts of your working environment,") I
think it should be avoided wherever comprehension is important.  The
terms "Desktop Preferences" and "Desktop Theme" will probably be
interpreted "incorrectly" by any new GNOME user.

-Erik Pukinskis

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/HIGuidelines/HIGuidelines-307.html

[2]