Re: "Desktop preferences" as a top-level item

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 05:18, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
> > I suggest using a standard "locked" icon (probably the same icon as RH
> > uses for their PAM launch-apps-as-root tool?) overlaying
> > admin-access-only items like an emblem.
>
> We can also decrease clutter for the common case by having some
> kind of 'this user doesn't have the root password' flag which hides the
> admin-only preference items. This would apply to basically every case
> beside the home desktop user, AFAICS.

I considered that, but visibility toggles makes me a little concerned.
The problem is that the "show these items" toggle can't be found near
the location where the items will be shown. This leads to situations
where the toggle got set (accidentally, or just a long time ago).....and
items you expect to "be there" aren't. Finding out how to make them
display can be a rather large waste of time. This can be helped by
making the toggle very prominently displayed....but I don't think we
want to do that in this case ;-)

-Seth