Re: Re-inventing Metatheme

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 06:20, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > This sounds inadequate from a usability perspective. The typical theme
> > user will only care about setting a matched set of themes, not
> > monkeying with them individually. Therefore it is important to be able
> > to answer questions like "what is my current theme" in the simple UI
> > that only gives a list of metathemes, so you have sane feedback when
> > you change it, and can go back and look later to tell your friend the
> > name so he can try it too, and so on.
>
> If I choose the Jungle metatheme and then customize the background, is
> the Jungle theme still selected?
>
> That question is just as hard to answer however you implement
> things. If you can come up with an answer, then I bet it's just as
> possible to implement the answer given my cheesy implementation as it
> is with some more overengineered implementation. e.g. maybe the answer
> is "the last metatheme you manually selected" or "the metatheme most
> like your current settings" - both implementable with my cheesy
> approach.
>
> Whether you present metathemes as a kind of theme (with a list of
> themes and an active theme) or as a bundle of prefs to apply
> write-only, is a UI issue that's orthogonal to how you implement.

IMO, for an easy-to-use version, see the Themes control panel that was
shipped with Windows 98 and before that in the Plus! pack for Windows
95. It was easy to use, and one could easily override parts of the
theme.

I'm pretty sure someone could do some screenshots for us to use.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net