Re: Nautilus usability and nit-picks

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 19:57, Alan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:59:03PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Bastien Nocera">
> >
> > > http://www.hadess.net/files/patches/cursor/
> > >
> > > I could update the patch for gtk2 if there's an interest.

It seems to be interest. You should first contact the GTK+ developers
through their mailing list, though.

> > Convention for the no-drag-n-drop icon is a 'no smoking' circle with a line
> > through it though - otherwise, great!
>
> I like them!  Only things I'd suggest is that the 'ask' icon changes to
> the current "?" one, as that to me makes more sense.  Also, the 'copy'
> icon is not all that intuitive, what does a plus mean?  Maybe make it
> the copy icon from the gedit toolbar (two documents overlaid), which
> means "copy" to me more than a 'plus' (which says "add").

I agree with both of you, summing up:

   * Move. Default action. No emblem on cursor.
   * Copy. Stock copy look-alike. Advantage: greater shape recognition.
   * Can't drop. Standard interdiction sign (crossed circle). Advantage:
greater shape recognition and a pervasive standard sign.

Now, I don't think that a question sign is that great for signaling that
the action will pop up a menu. Schematically:

   * Ask. Question sign. Advantage: greater shape recognition.
Disadvantage: it seem to look alike to the standard for context
sensitive help.

   * Possible ask  variation: 3 dots (...). Advantage: Standard
convention for "more information needed in order to finish the action".

Although I think this discussion belongs to the GTK+ mailing list as it
is a standard feature provided by it. Drag and drop in GTK+ is in need
of a rework; apart from this it also suffers from lack of
responsiveness, for example.

Regards,

David.