Re: [Usability]Re: User Managment

Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> That way, one would just add "gnome-super-user-helper foobar" in the
> .desktop file, and could rely on that function being present.

That doesn't work at all with PAM (though it doesn't necessarily break
anything either as we can make "gnome-super-user-helper" do nothing).
However Red Hat and derived distributions are normally using PAM for
this stuff so would not use any upstream GNOME feature. Solaris also
has PAM afaik.

For current Red Hat rawhide we have a timestamp-based "remember
password" feature for PAM, so you can sort of "assume superuser
privileges," causing a special icon to appear in the system tray, and
run config tools without a password for a set time.

Havoc