Re: .desktop -> bugzilla

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 01:50, James Henstridge wrote:
> >- their users don't need to deal with an horrible interface.
> >
> Which interface are you talking about?  Bug-buddy or the web based bug
> submission interface.  Do you have any ideas for improvement?

And be sure to look at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/simple-bug-guide.cgi before commenting.

> >- you can report bugs right from the app.
> >
> When a gnome app crashes, you can report a bug right away with bug
> buddy.  For non crasher bugs, you can start bug-buddy from the
> applications menu, or use your web browser.

And if we actually thought that was a good idea (I'm not really sure it
is) it's very easy to do- Ximian does it already in evolution.

> >- no crappy login which requires another password.
> >
> There is a very good reason for wanting confirmation of the email
> address.  Many reported bugs are not very useful at face value, but if
> the maintainer has a way to get additional information from the
> reporter, then it can be much more useful.

Amen.

> >- it does what it has to do. simply reporting bugs.
> >
> As a maintainer, I want a system that helps manage and track bugs.  From
> this point of view, debbugs is horrible.  If the bug tracking system is
> unusable to the maintainers, then it doesn't matter how good the
> reporting interface is.

More strong amen.

> Debbugs may work okay for the Debian project, but most software projects
> have quite different needs.

Given Debian's struggles with quality at times, I'd argue it doesn't
work particularly well for them either. There are things bugzilla can do
a lot better than it does- I can talk about that for hours if you want
me to ;) but becoming more like debbugs is not the way to do that.

Luis

Luis