Re: A few questions about GNOME2

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 14:15, Uri David Akavia wrote:
> Hello.
> I have downloaded the GNOME2 betas and I am impressed with it.
> However I have some questions about certain functions. Could you tell me
> whether it is a design decision, yet to be implemented or a bug?
> If this is the wrong mailing list for some queries, please let me know.
> (Please cc to me as I am not on the list)
> BTW, I don't have a lot of time to write bug reports. What would you
> prefer, one really detailed bug report with all possible info, or
> several bug reports with just the terminal output and\or stack trace
> where appropriate?
>
> 1. What happened to the control panel?
> There are only control applets - there is no way to go over each option
> and change them one at a time, like in GNOME 1.

Control panel is dead, it was ugly. If you really want to tweek stuff
you can use the gconf editor (gnome equivalent of windows registry
editor, but doesn't break like regedit does)

> 2. There are no longer any detachable menus
> If I had the option of detachable\floating menus I wouldn't have a
> problem with 1, since I would just detach the menus I need.

applications=>desktop preferences=>advance=> toolbars and menus
turn them on.

> 3. Instant apply yet no Undo
> This is slightly problematic - it seems like a UI decision, but I don't
> understand the logic. The combination of instant apply and no undo (or
> cancel) makes it impossible to return to prior settings. Could you
> explain it to me?

this is by design, we changed the preferences so you can't break
anything so in my opinion this isn't an issue. But maybe more user
testing is needed. I really like instant apply.

> 4. The window list (task list) has regressed.
> GNOME 1 tasklist had the option of closing, minising, killing, etc.
> windows. I can't do this with the new tasklist - right button gives me
> the panel menu, middle button moves the applet, and left button chooses
> the window. Am I missing something? If it's not supposed to be done with
> this applet, is there one that does it?

fixed in cvs even though killing has been removed since it was crack.

> 5. What do I have to do in order to import my GNOME 1 menus? Is there
> some utility to import menus or to chnage .desktop files from GNOME1
> format to GNOME2 format?

uhh menu editing is more than a little broken atm. sorry.

dave