Re: A few questions about GNOME2

On sáb, 2002-04-27 at 20:15, Uri David Akavia wrote:
> Hello.
> I have downloaded the GNOME2 betas and I am impressed with it.
> However I have some questions about certain functions. Could you tell me
> whether it is a design decision, yet to be implemented or a bug?
> If this is the wrong mailing list for some queries, please let me know.
> (Please cc to me as I am not on the list)
> BTW, I don't have a lot of time to write bug reports. What would you
> prefer, one really detailed bug report with all possible info, or
> several bug reports with just the terminal output and\or stack trace
> where appropriate?
>
> 1. What happened to the control panel?
> There are only control applets - there is no way to go over each option
> and change them one at a time, like in GNOME 1.

the control panel is now integrated in nautilus, go to preferences:///,
altough i think that you can still launch the control panel with
gnome-control-center --use-shell.

> 2. There are no longer any detachable menus
> If I had the option of detachable\floating menus I wouldn't have a
> problem with 1, since I would just detach the menus I need.

this options are hidden, to get to them you have to use the
gconf-editor, the key that you are looking for is:

/desktop/interface/menus_have_tearoff

> 3. Instant apply yet no Undo
> This is slightly problematic - it seems like a UI decision, but I don't
> understand the logic. The combination of instant apply and no undo (or
> cancel) makes it impossible to return to prior settings. Could you
> explain it to me?
>
> 4. The window list (task list) has regressed.
> GNOME 1 tasklist had the option of closing, minising, killing, etc.
> windows. I can't do this with the new tasklist - right button gives me
> the panel menu, middle button moves the applet, and left button chooses
> the window. Am I missing something? If it's not supposed to be done with
> this applet, is there one that does it?
>
> 5. What do I have to do in order to import my GNOME 1 menus? Is there
> some utility to import menus or to chnage .desktop files from GNOME1
> format to GNOME2 format?

i don't know of any. :-(