Re: CDDB-Capplet [was Re: magicdev [was Re: Gnome-vfs blocks

> On Advogato Maciej accuses me of following rules blindly, ;-) I don't
> intend this as some hard-and-fast rule, I just intend to say that
> deeply nested menus and menus with 30 items in them clearly suck, and
> a single Preferences menu with a reasonable number of clearly named
> control panels is clearly a big win. So I very much hope we can keep
> that and not end up with the GNOME 1.x 31 capplets situation again.

I'll just state my opinion on this and then go back to minding my own
bussiness.

Seems to me that a good way to solve a lot of the problems being
mentioned herewould be to actually USE the excellent, pretty, simple
and usable control center shell that is already present. It would
accomplish

	- Saying 'all capplets in application menu must die', they
	  do not belong there as they are not applications and should
	  be clearly distinguished from them (this is really horrid now
	  with 'D' being early in the alphabet)
	- Clear distinction between categories (left pane) and capplets,
          (right pane) avoiding the nautilus guessing game (The only
	  desktop i can think of that tried to use the file manager for
          this is/was windows, and it didn't pull it off very well). And
	  yes, categories, when used properly, can be good. Normal vs.
	  Advanced, for instance, is a good distinction to make.
	  preferences:/// in nautilus look stupid if you use list view too.
	- No "crack", no clutter, and NO user confusion.
	  Applications->Desktop Preferences and evererything Joe needs
	  to fix is right there on the screen for him too see. I bet
	  you could even (not that you should) shove 31 capplets in
	  there without making him instant apply(tm) windows xp

So that's the simple solution i suggest. Zap the "Desktop Preferences"
folder and replace it with a "Desktop Preferences" launcher to
gnome-control-center --use-shell. Less mess in menus is good, clarity
is good, and this Works Right Now.

Jon