Re: Pango branched

Hi Daniel,

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 18:12, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   Hum, yes it's time to start announcing plans for the evolution
> of the core libraries.

	Great.

>  I have been working on XML Schemas support for libxml2 for the
> last month but didn't commited it to CVS because it was really not
> in a shape to be pushed. Things are starting to take shape and I
> would really like to push to CVS. But I'm not fond at all of branching
> last time I did was 2 years ago and I still have the sequels from
> years waiting for the Gnome project to resync.

	Heh :-)

	Well - I think there should be far less pain this time ( notably the
same / worse things happened with ORBit ).

	I think we understand now that ABI compatibility and platform integrity
is really important.

	So as long as your changes are API additions, and don't affect API /
ABI compatibility I don't forsee any major problems, certainly nothing
nearly as bad as libxml 1.0 -> 2.0.

>   So as announced during the Talk at Guadec I expect to grow the
> libxml2 API in the near future (no backward incompatible change are
> expected),

	Ideal, but we certainly need some sort of mini branch to do
stabilization on, and make minimal changes for bug fixes etc.

	Is that reasonable ?

		Michael.