Squares on panel objects

I believe I've brought this up once before. As you all
probably know, the GNOME2.0 panel has this feature where if you want
to use the keyboard to launch things from the panel, there's a square
around an object to indicate where you are. This way, for example, I
can tab from the foot menu, to a gnome-terminal launcher, never having
touched the mouse.

However much like the "panel highlighting issue", I find this slightly
annoying since I never use this feature. I can see that it is
incredibly helpful from a usability standpoint though.

So I was wondering if it is possible to shut off this feature?
It's not a big deal if it can't be turned off, but I am curious if it can
be done just the same.

If not, is there a way to actually select the panel if I'm
in another  window? Currently, I'm not able to
select the panel from, say alt-tab'ing.

thoughts?
--
Trevor Curtis