Re: transperancy.

Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> writes:

> As far as I know, the Qt3 theme engines do the usual hack of grabbing an
> image of the desktop below and blending it as usual. The good
> improvement that gnome-terminal needs is including the windows and
> icons, not just the root window.

The thing that makes it impossible to do that for the terminal is that
the icons/etc. you see there in the KDE shot are just from a
screenshot taken just before popping up the menu. Once the menu is up,
the pixels underneath the menu no longer exist to be screenshotted.

So the problem is that the terminal could take a shot, but say that
shot included several windows behind the terminal; and then you moved
those windows out from behind it; then the terminal would still show
them, but they would no longer be there, and it would look buggy as
hell. i.e. the problem is that right now the pixels "behind" another
window literally do not exist, so can't be displayed. All you can do
is grab the pixels that existed _before_ putting up your window.
Good enough for menus, not good enough for apps.

Havoc